Pages

dimanche 4 avril 2010

Interview • Nabiha [EN]


First of all, could you briefly introduce yourself to the readers who might not know you yet?
Nabiha • My name is Nabiha, and I'm a singer/songwriter. My roots are Danish and nort- and west African (Gambia, Mali and Marocco), and I was born and raised in Copenhagen. My debut album Cracks was released in Denmark in the beginning of February, and my first single Deep Sleep is an uptempo pop song inspired by an African lullaby my mom used to sing to me when I was a kid. My 2nd single The Enemy just came out a few weeks ago, and is a song about being secretly in love with a good friend.

You're not exactly a new face in the world of music, since you were already present in 2004, under the name Tiger Lily. Why did you choose to go back to your real name afterwards?
Nabiha • It turned out we could run into some trademark issues, so we decided to go with my own name. However when that decision was made it felt so right.
-Over the years I've spent a lot of time experimenting with different music genres, in order to find out exactly what I wanted to do. I really feel that the album is a combination of what I love and who I am.

Your album was released on February 1st in Denmark. What are your plans for this year, do you think about a European release?
Nabiha • Yes. We've focussed on the international market since the very beginning, and we're currently working on releases in other European countries, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Deep Sleep and The Enemy are the first two singles. Do you have any ideas on what the next one will be? We've read on many websites that You was one of the public's favourite tracks (and it has been featured as ' Song of the day' on Popjustice). Will you take that into account?
Nabiha • We sure will, and it's always great to hear people opinions. "You" is definately on our list of 3rd single-suggestions, but nothing is certain just yet. What really impresses me is the way that Popjustice have predicted our running order of singles so far. I'm so happy with all the support we've gotten from sites like yourselves, Popjustice, Concrete Loop, etc. I hope to make you all proud.

The vast majority of the albums' tracks have been composed by Carl Ryden & you. How did you two meet? From what we've heard, it seems like he really fell in love with your music!
Nabiha • We met via our Manager Mette Buhl, so Carl have been a part of this from beginning to end. From creating the vibe and cracking the sound, to co-writing and producing the whole album. I feel like he's as big a part of this as I am. I call him my boy wonder!

Did you take a long time to record the album, or was it more of a fast process? You have also worked with Nina Woodford, Chanelle Gstettenbauer & Cozi Costi to compose some songs - that must have taken quite some time too!
Nabiha • The album was made in London, so I've been traveling back and forth quite a lot, but when we’re in the studio, we tend to be productive and work fast. All three songwriters are incredibly talented and proffessionel as well as fun and easy to work with, so the whole experience for me has been very inspiring.

Many people seem to believe in you: your collaborators first, since they have worked with some really great artists (James Morrison, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Leona Lewis, Jamiroquai), but also many websites (PopJustice, Concreteloop). Does it make you feel some kind of pressure when it comes to the success of the album?
Nabiha • I would be lying if I said it didn’t, but I try not to think too much about it. I have goals and expectations as far as my music and performance goes, and it's those goals I need to reach. You can never make everyone satisfied, so being satisfied yourself, is a very good start.

What inspires you, while writing & composing music?
Nabiha • Mostly people. My family and friends, conversations and experiences.

Can you tell us more about your musical influences: who are the artists that have inspired you, in general and during the making of this album?
Nabiha • I've always listened to a lot of different music, and I love strong female artists like Madonna, Grace Jones, P.J Harvey, Erykah Badu etc. All of them have a strong presence and a signature in their sound, I find that very captivating and fascinating. But if I had to say one artist who has inspired me during the making of the album, I would have to say Carl Ryden, who I worked with on the album. He’s a constant source of inspiration and we have such fun while working.

How would you define this album, in your very own words?
Nabiha • POP, it’s as simple as that.

If one takes a closer look at the content of this album, one can easily notice that family seems to be a recurring theme in your music. For instance in "Red letter days" or "Deep sleep", where you sing a ditty that your mother used to sing to you. Is your family an important part of your life?
Nabiha • My family and friends mean the world to me. They know, support and inspire me, always. I wrote the first song on the album, "Red Letter Days" to them, to show my appreciation for all that they've done, and for the patience and understanding they're constantly showing me.

According to those who have seen you live, and to the pictures in the album's booklet, it seems that you're quite a lively and cheeky kind of person. Are you always like that?
Nabiha • Lively, yes. Cheeky, haha… Right now I’m living my dream, and to be honest, it’s quite hard to get my arms down from pure excitement! it’s hard work and it’s only getting harder, but I’m loving every minute of it.

In Computer Love, you talk about virtual love. What do you think about it? Are you talking by experience, have you ever lived a love story through interposed computers?
Nabiha • I haven't tried it myself, No. for me it’s only figuratively speaking, but with net dating, facebook, webcams etc. you can speak to and look at the people you love all around the globe. If that isn’t amazing, I don’t know what is. We all know how it feels to be homesick, or miss a loved one. Technology makes that easier, and this is what "Computer Love" is inspired from.

If you could pick anyone, with whom would you like to collaborate?
Nabiha • Gnarls Barkley, Santigold, Outkast - all are amazingly talented, diverse and crazy. They’re fusioning different sounds and genres, and are not afraid to think out of the box.

You have just begun your tour in Denmark. What are the songs you like to play live the most?
Nabiha • All of them! Especially Sneaking Out The Backdoor, Boomerang and You really come to life when played live’. And the singles, off course! It’s always a blast hearing people sing along, especially in the middle 8 of Deep Sleep, where everything is sung in African. People know the melody and then they just make up their own African sounding-words, ‘cause they want sing to sing and have fun. I love it, 'cause that is really what it's all about.

To conclude with, some random questions we ask all the artists we interview:

What was the last album you bought?
Nabiha • I bought the album “Kaleidoscope” from Swedish 70’es rock’n’roll sounding band Siena Root. Just saw them play a great concert, so I bought the album straight after …

If we looked into your I-Pod right now, what would we find?
Nabiha • Grace Jones, P.J Harvey, Nina Simone, Gnarls Barkley, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Sia, Eagles of death Metal, Outcast, Santigold, Erykah Badu, Morcheeba, Björk, Kate Bush, Air, Massive Attack, Missy Elliot, Robyn, Deadmau5, Depeche Mode and some new songs I’m working on.

There are some artists we often talk about on Hall-Musique, and it is our habit to ask the ones we interview what they think about those artists. Are you OK with this? OK, then, if you had to briefly say something about ...

• Lady Gaga ? Crazy, artzy, and super talented. I love her!
• La Roux ? I’m still bummed that I missed her concert. I heard she's great live.
• Little Boots ? –really like her fashion sence, styling and how she’s working both piano, moog, tenori-on and a stylophone all at the same time.
• The Killers ? -loved their first single, but will be honest and say I havent really heard their album(s) yet.
• Britney Spears ? Love the Black Out album, and the singles I’ve heard from the new album.

Thank you for this interview, Nabiha.
(And special thanks to Trine !)

Aucun commentaire:


Paperblog : Les meilleurs actualités issues des blogs
toute la culture sur ulike



Fans clubs et communautés de fans - Le réseau Purefans